Bedford Police Department -
Message From the Chief
Welcome on behalf of the men and women of the Bedford Police Department. As I head into my sixth year as the Chief of Police, the goal to have a professional police department that continues to make the Town of Bedford a safe place to live, work, and play continues to be in the forefront. The Town of Bedford is located with the Blue Ridge Parkway to the north and Smith Mountain Lake to the south. The Town of Bedford has the honor to have The National D-Day Memorial in the town. The Town of Bedford is one of the best places to live in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
The Police Department is comprised of 25 sworn police officers and 4 civilian staff members, 3 full time and 1 part time. All members of the police department work hard to ensure all of the emergency and non-emergency police related needs are responded to and handled quickly and efficiently. As Police Chief I have five values I want each member of the police department to follow. The values are Respect, Integrity, Teamwork, Courage and Innovation.
The members of the police department have all heard a quote from Sir Robert Peel, which is his 7th principle, "The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence." We work to partner with the citizens of the Town of Bedford because we understand we cannot be effective without the support of the public. As the Chief of Police I am building this culture within the department.
We are proud to serve this community and protect those who live in town, work in town and those who are visiting town and the local attractions. We are striving every day to provide the highest quality service. Officers understand our five values and understand that we are servants of the public and hold the privilege to serve and protect this community as an honor.
F. Todd Foreman
Chief of Police
The Town of Bedford Police Department is dedicated to improving the quality of life by creating a safe environment in partnership with the diverse community we serve. We act with integrity to reduce fear and crime while treating all with respect, compassion and fairness to build trust.
VisionTo keep Bedford a safe place to live and visit.
Goal of the DepartmentWe choose Character over Compromise
The values of the department is summed up by 5 elements that will enable the department to continue to move forward and accomplish our mission:
1. Building Trust and Legitimacy
Increase recruiting efforts
Identify special interest groups
Expand Community Engagement Officer program
Increase engagement in Community Meetings
Release Biased Based Policing Comprehensive report
Increase positive non-enforcement activities
2. Policy and Oversight
Create policy review committee
Create staff review panel for Use of Force and Pursuits
Enhance Crime Prevention Council
3. Technology and Social Media
Increase/improve Traffic crash mapping and DATA collection
Increase use of Emergency Notification platform
Implement a crime report for public information
Create a library of educational information for public information
Update and keep website current
Implement new Records Management System
4. Community Policing and Crime Reduction
Provide security surveys of businesses and organizations using Crime Prevention
Increase Drug Activity/Arrests by 10%
Focus in implementing a DATA driven approaches to Crime and Traffic Safety
Decrease traffic crashes and crime by 10%
Create program to educate citizens on police interactions
Increase use of Hidden in Plain Sight program
5. Training and Education
Pursue training for all department personnel in de-escalation techniques and conflict resolution
Refresh and renew Field Training Officer retainer
Evaluate career progression program
Create a professional development program
Continue quarterly firearm and other essential training to increase skills and abilities
6. Implement a Critical Incident Stress Management team
Develop training or seminars focused on family issues
Encourage officer to participate in law Fit and Career Progression
Limit the amount of time they must report to court on their time off
Click here to see our 2021-2024 Strategic Plan
Complaints and Compliments
We do our best to be kind, respectful and professional to the citizens of our Town and visitors alike. On the occasion you feel the need to make a complaint or give one of our employees a compliment; the following steps will guide you through the process.
- You will be asked to fill out a complaint form located here and sign it. If you need help, it will be provided. You are not required to sign the form; however, your refusal to sign will be noted in the investigation file.
- Your complaint will be reviewed by the Chief of Police or his/her designee who will determine if your complaint will be handled by the employee’s supervisor or referred to an internal affair investigator.
- If your complaint s of serious nature such as excessive use of force, you may be asked to come in and speak with either an internal affairs investigator or other officer as determined by the Chief of Police or his/her designee.
- Any interview will be confidential and any transcripts or other recordings will not be released to you, your attorney or another person, firm or entity without a court order.
- Specific statements made by the officer(s) or any person or evidence gathered will not be released to you, your attorney or any other person, firm or entity without a court order.
- At the conclusion of the investigation, you will be notified by mail of the outcome. You will not be notified of any punitive action that may or may not have been taken against the officer(s).
- If you are filing a complaint that your know to be false as a means of retaliation against the officer, you may be subject to criminal or civil proceedings
- You can send a letter or phone in a compliment for an employee.
- Your compliment will be reviewed by the Chief of Police or his/her designee who will then determine how your compliment will be handled; by the employee’s supervisor or referred for Official Recognition.
- All parties involved may be interviewed to determine the level of recognition
- Parties involved may be invited to any ceremonies of recognition.
View the 2019 Annual Report here.