Career Information and Benefits
WE ARE HIRING!!!
We are a progressive, professional department. We are equipped with state-of-the-art equipment and modern technology which enables us to effectively serve our citizens and visitors alike, We offer training to effectively deliver quality and unequaled police service.
Law enforcement offers exciting opportunities in light of the ever changing needs of a diverse community. If you are career minded, enjoy helping the public, looking for competitive salary and job satisfaction then you are just what we’re looking for.
Essential Description of Duties:
- Enforce the laws and ordinances of the Town and State
- Patrols the Town by foot or motorized equipment
- Investigates suspicious conditions and complaints, makes arrests of persons who violate laws and ordinances
- Responds to fires and accidents as directed, gives all possible assistance and prepares necessary reports
- Gives information on laws, ordinances and other general information to the public
- Serves warrants and subpoenas
- And so much more!!
- High School diploma or verifiable GED, preferably supplemented by courses and or training in law enforcement
- Minimum age of 21 and must be a citizen of the United States
- Possession of a valid Driver’s License and upon employment, the ability to possess and maintain a valid Commonwealth of Virginia Driver’s License
- In good physical and mental health as determined by licensed physicians designated by the Town
- Vision requirements of 20/100 uncorrected in each eye, correctable to 20/30 in each eye must be met
- Must have no felony convictions and have no misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, a false statement or moral turpitude
- Military personnel must have a honorable discharge and supply Form DD-214, DD256 or NGB22 where applicable
- Must successfully complete the application, testing and background process
- Of good moral character as determined by a thorough background investigation
- Ability to react quickly and calmly in emergencies
- Ability to acquire thorough knowledge of Town laws and ordinances, State statutes, geography, departmental policies regulations and procedures, first aid methods and the use and care of firearms, intermediate weapons, empty hand control tactics and motor vehicles.
- Ability to learn a variety of police duties and methods within a reasonable training period
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, supervisors, and the general public
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Virginia Retirement System - 5% is deducted from 2 pay checks per month for the employee’s portion of retirement benefits.
- Life insurance is 2X salary which town provides.
- Health insurance: a portion of the premium is paid by the Town and the employee’s portion would be deducted from 2 pay checks per month. The health insurance covers medical, dental and vision. This can be set-up as a pre-tax deduction. This deduction cannot be changed except with a qualifying event. Documentation on the qualifying event would need to be brought to the payroll department within 30 days of the event.
- Flex Spending Deductions: You can set aside money for health or dependent care which is deducted from 2 pay checks per month. All funds withheld in the plan year would need to be used in that year or forfeited. This is a pre-tax deduction and cannot be changed in the plan year.
- You have the option to buy additional insurance coverage from Aflac or Colonial.
- Optional life insurance can be purchased through Minnesota Life for yourself, spouse and children.
- On-site Nurse Practitioner/Clinic
- Educational Benefits - Employees have option for tuition assistance in which the Department will pay 50% of the tuition per class at a maximum of $600 per class.